Of course, many coffee lovers are familiar with the famous Swiss brand Jura. Since 1931, Elektroapparate AG has been developing, producing and selling premium household appliances. The espresso machines became the company’s main product in the early 90s of the last century. As a result, Jura coffee machines have been successfully competing in the premium segment for 30 years.
Of course, the company is actively using innovative technologies. For example, Jura Z6 Impressa uses Pulse Extraction Process (P.E.P.) brewing technology, context-sensitive user interface,
filing sequence algorithm (sequence of milk and coffee supply in a cup), etc.
Like all industry leaders, the company uses assortment expansion as one of its main competition tools. Today the Jura range of coffee machines is divided into full-size D, E, S, J and Z series and compact A and ENA series. Of course, the company is actively developing both directions. For example, from 2016 to 2018, Jura introduced a sequence of fullsized Jura Impressa E6, E8 and S8. Wherein, Jura Impressa S8 several years remains one of the most popular coffee machines of the middle class. ENA 8 is the latest model among the compact Jura coffee machines.
The sophisticated lines, the chrome finish on the coffee hopper and the sparkling round water tank on the side have earned the coffee machine the prestigious “reddot award 2019” award for stylish design.
Moreover, the model is available in three colors.
Of course, the color scheme depends on individual tastes, but, probably, the red version looks the most impressive. Oddly enough, the market practically does not offer red coffee machines and red version has no competition. Of course, it fits perfectly into any interior in red tones.
The width of the coffee machine without water tank is only 8.26 inches (21 cm). Including the tank, it increases to 10.63 inches (27 cm). Therefore, Jura ENA 8 is ideal for small kitchens.
Of course, compactness always significantly limits developers, and ENA 8 is no exception. Its water tank holds only 1 liter, the grain hopper holds 125 grams, and the cake container is designed for only 10 portions.
Model has 2.8″ TFT display.
Unfortunately, the screen only offers two recipes that can be started with one click. Selecting another recipe requires scrolling through the menu using the two lower buttons.
The connector for the Jura Smart Connect adapter is located under the removable logo on the back.
Bluetooth module provides control by iOS or Android smartphone for remote start of cooking programs. What’s more, the app allows the user to reprogram the preset recipes without disrupting the coffee machine settings. Unfortunately, Smart Connect is optional and only comes with the most expensive Jura ENA 8 Massive Aluminum Signature Line 15222 all-metal model.
Modified compact VC brewing unit
In fact, the brewing unit is the main difference between the compact and full-size models. The ENA 8 is no exception and its VC compact brewing unit only holds 6 to 10 grams of ground coffee. Accordingly, its maximum coffee strength is lower. On the other hand, a double ristretto of two separate grinds solves this problem.
Like other Jura models, ENA 8 uses the Pulse Extraction Process (P.E.P.), which optimizes the aroma of a short ristretto or espresso.
In addition, Fine Foam technology creates airy milk foam for cappuccino. Of course, ENA 8 has uses the Intelligent Pre Brew Aroma System (I.P.B.A.S.). This system changes the water amount and the duration of pre-wetting, depending on the selected coffee strength.
Previous Jura compact espresso machines required regular disassembly of the casing for routine cleaning of the brewing unit. The new brewing unit has a “syringe” for sucking water from the used coffee cake before discarding it. This improvement dewaters the cake, significantly increasing the periods between cleanings due to a decrease in the rate of its pollution.
This coffee machine has 8 recipes:
– Coffee: default 100 ml / adjustable from 25 to 240 ml;
– Espresso: 40 ml / (15 – 80) ml, with P.E.P.;
– Espresso doppio: 80 ml / (30 – 160) ml, with P.E.P., two grindings;
– Ristretto: 25 ml / (15 – 80) ml, with P.E.P.;
– Cappuccino: milk, 14 seconds, about 120 ml, then 60 ml / (25 – 240) ml coffee without P.E.P.;
– Latte macchiato: milk, 22 seconds, about 200 ml, pause for about 30 seconds, then 45 ml / (25 – 240) ml coffee without P.E.P.;
– Flat White: 60 ml / (25 – 240) ml coffee without P.E.P., then milk, 14 seconds, about 120 ml;
– Espresso macchiato: milk, 3 seconds, then 25 ml / (15 – 80) ml of coffee with P.E.P.;
– Milk foam: 20 sec / (3 – 120) sec, maximum volume – 1 liter;
– Hot water: 220 ml / (25 – 450) ml.
– traditional Jura reliability;
– stylish effective design;
– 8 programs;
– modified compact VC brewing unit;
– finely dispersed, velvety, homogeneous milk foam of excellent quality;
– unprecedented maximum volume of Milk Foam – 1 liter;
– P.E.P. (Pulse Extraction Process), I.P.B.A.S. (Intelligent Pre Brew Aroma System), etc innovative technologies;
– Bluetooth module;
– fast and quiet work;
– two-color cup lighting.
– traditionally high brand price;
– only two drinks on the screen;
– unregulated order of drinks in the menu;
– too tight paddle buttons have a small stroke and require effort when pressed;
– the number of prepared drinks is available only using the app via the optional Jura Smart Connect adapter;
– no special program for Americano;
– no separate adjustment of the coffee strength;
– auto cleaning the milk circuit does not rinse the outlet hose, because the manufacturer provides for its disconnection and manual rinsing.
Despite fierce competition, Jura maintains its position as one of the leaders in the development and production of coffee machines. Full size Jura Impressa S8 became one of the the best in the mid-budget segment. New Jura ENA 8 is one of the best models in the segment of compact espresso coffee machines. Spectacular compact design, innovative technologies, impeccable quality of components and assembly, an improved brewing unit and the highest quality milk foam provide this model with excellent prospects. Several small cons leave the company room for further improvement. Probably, the high enough price remains the main problem of Jura coffee machines. On the other hand, impeccable quality can hardly be cheap.
This video introduces the new Jura ENA 8 fully automatic compact coffee machine.