Induction models are the most efficient and modern electric cooktops. They successfully compete with traditional gas cooktops. The functionality of cooktops with induction heating also corresponds to a very high level. Induction block under the panel surface generates heat directly in the bottom of pan without heating the surface. Therefore, the cooktop remains cold, excluding the risk of burns and wasteful heating. But they are the most expensive and require special cookware with a ferromagnetic base. Of course, these factors affect the selection of the optimal cooktop.
The operation principle of these devices uses generation of a high-frequency magnetic field, which creates eddy currents in the cookware bottom, ensuring its heating. A high-frequency magnetic field is generated by an induction coil under a glass-ceramic cooktop.
Power of induction burner varies from 50 to 3500 W. The power value is infinitely adjustable. Induction cooking zones typically have 12-20 of power levels. The minimum power is used for stewing foods. This mode corresponds to the cooking on a slow fire in the gas models.
Modern induction burners provide temperature accuracy within one degree. The temperature change is performed almost instantaneously.
These models also have some unique features. For example, Booster function provides redistribution of the power between nearby burners within a few minutes. Many models support intensive heating by using paired groups of cooking zones. In fact, this technology no different from Booster function. Each pair has a main burner for receiving power and auxiliary burner for recoil power.
Some induction cookers support Asian cuisine that requires a high temperature and special pan with a spherical bottom. Induction WOK burners have the form of a concave hemisphere and high power from 3 to 7 kW.
Such burner provides the effect of cooking on an open fire.
The surface temperature does not usually exceed 60 ° C. The cooling time after shutdown is about 6 minutes. For comparison, gas cooktops cool down for 24 minutes. The cooling time of the traditional electric models reaches 50 minutes.
Some induction models have adjustable zone of flow vortex generation. In such models, sensor changes the cooking zone diameter in accordance with cookware size. Samsung calls this function Flex Zone.
The main advantages of induction cooktops
This list contains:
– low temperature excludes the burn risk due to accidental contact with the surface;
– absolutely smooth surface greatly simplifies cleaning due to lack of the hard to reach places;
– full safety due to lack of open flames. Furthermore, additional measures provide additional safety. For example, a special sensor blocks heating the cookware with a diameter of bottom up to 4,7 inches. This eliminates accidental heating the metal objects on the surface, for example, of spoons, forks or knives.
– induction cooktops consume several times less energy compared to other models;
– all models have a stylish design due to the use of glass-ceramic panels.
The main cons
Unfortunately, these models have several significant drawbacks. This list contains the following main aspects:
– induction cooktops should not be placed over an oven, a dishwasher, a washing machine, a refrigerator, a freezer or other devices with metal surfaces. Of course, this restriction complicates their placement in the kitchen.
– bottom of the cookware must be made from a ferromagnetic alloy. Moreover, bottom thickness directly affects the heating efficiency. Checking the material is very simple. Bottom of the suited cookware well attracts the permanent magnets. Cast iron and some steel types, including enameled, satisfy this requirement. But aluminum, brass and glass do not have of the ferromagnetic properties. Modern induction cooktops recognize the material of the cookware and block the heating in this case.
Today manufacturers produce cookware with bottom fully from a ferromagnetic alloy or a combi. In tis case, cookware bottom has alternating layers of aluminum or brass with a ferromagnetic layer. Hackmann, Fissler, WMF, Spring, Silit, Vitesse, Woll and some others companies specialize in the production of such cookware. Additionally, cookware for induction cooktops can use gas and electric burners. Usually, cookware for induction models has a special icon.
3. The high price.
Touch control is an additional advantage of induction models. This video convincingly demonstrates its simplicity, functionality and convenience.